How to connect Nmea2Wifi

Discussion and support for the Nmea2Wifi multiplexer - a 2-input Nmea 0183 wifi multiplexer.
Heilo

How to connect Nmea2Wifi

Post by Heilo » Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:54 am

I have bought and built the Nmea2Wifi. Firmware 5.6 installed. I have connected P1-P2-P3 together and ran the BIT successfully. However, I have not been able to communicate with my PC, either through USB/serial ports nor Wifi.
I have tried different setups with different USB to serial adapters. Also tried different software ie Packet Sender and Serial Port Utility. Can You suggest a setup to test serial and wifi with my computer ? Ultimately, the purpose for buying the multiplexer is to connect it to my Raymarine E120 Classic and GPS (I believe RS125). I want GPS signals to my Iphone/Ipad/Computer and to send waypoints/routes the other way. How should I connect this together ?

Luis Sa
Site Admin

Re: How to connect Nmea2Wifi

Post by Luis Sa » Sun Mar 10, 2019 11:28 am

Hello,

So you tested the input/output hardware. Now there are so many things I could ask. The basic one - can you get the Settings Web Page using a browser to get 192.168.4.1? About your description - you can not communicate with a PC though the USB port (the USB connector on the ESP8266 module). To do that you need an USB to TTL serial cable. The USB end will go to your computer. 2 wires go to P1 (or P2) and other 2 wires go to P3 (to receive data). Note that an USB to serial cable has 4 wires at the serial end. In order to test the wifi communication with your PC you could use Packet Sender. I used it sometimes ago. Recently I am using OpenCPN (great to test the wifi and serial connections) or my Nmea4Wifi.exe programme. It can be used with the Nmea2Wifi multiplexer in case you want to test the multiplexer. But there so many possibilities of how you are testing it that is very difficult for me to comment. Please be more specific.

Regarding your final setup, I need to check the descriptions of your instruments to give you any suggestion. Which app you will you be using in your Ipad?

Regards, Luis