New user - probably old question ! USB output ?

Discussion and support for the Nmea2Wifi multiplexer - a 2-input Nmea 0183 wifi multiplexer.
solentlife

New user - probably old question ! USB output ?

Post by solentlife » Thu May 19, 2022 11:01 am

I have the NMEA2WIFI unit and it has the usb port.

I have Onwa KP39A Plotter with Class B (2W) AIS and NMEA0183 out.

I would like to have the Onwa send GPS and AIS to my Acer One 10" notebook via the USB cable ...

I understand that the Onwa can send all info via that one output to the NMEA2WIFI unit ... lets say Port 2 ... but can I read all data via the USB out on my PC ?

I use Seaclear on the PC .. which usually likes GPS input on one serial port and AIS on another ...

I'm open for all suggestions !

Also what PC based and Android tablet based nav can accept GPS etc via WiFi ?? as most I look at ask for serial port connection.

solentlife

Re: New user - probably old question ! USB output ?

Post by solentlife » Wed Jun 08, 2022 12:13 pm

This post links to :
https://www.vela-navega.com/forum/viewt ... ?f=6&t=336

as I have been trying to get the NMEA2WiFi to talk to Acer One via USB lead.

Seaclear only accepts Com Port serial data - so this was the problem. I managed to get OpenCPN to receive data via WiFi .. fine.

Couple of days talking to Onwa .. making sure cable colours were correct and menu options etc.

The Onwa has 3 wires ... Green is NMEA+, Orange is NMEA / AIS+, Blue is NMEA / AIS - (GND).

I had the three connected :

Green : A1
Blue : A2
Orange : B1

This gave me GPS and but no AIS into OpenCPN via WiFi ..... ???

So I then bridged A2 to B2 to make the Blue - common for both. This then gave me GPS and AIS into OpenCPN via WiFi

Still no USB data ............ Hair pulling time !

Go back to instruction sheet ... A1 .. A2 ... B1 ... B2 ... don't need A3 .. B3 ..... but wait a minute. P1 and P2 can be fed to P3 as well as WiFi .... whats that about ? I don't need P3 output ...

Dial in 192.168.4.1 and have a look ... once I convinced Chrome to allow it to connect ! There it was ...

I ticked the boxes P1 to P3 .. P2 to P3 as well as the UDP and bingo - all came alive !!

Note to Luis :

I think the wording about sending P1 / P2 to P3 to give data to USB cable needs to be explained a little more on the instruction sheet. I found it a little confusing.

BUT WHAT A beauty ! So pleased with the NMEA2WiFi unit ...