NMEA3WIFI ext netw and internet access

Discussion and support for the Nmea3Wifi multiplexer - a 2-input Nmea 0183 wifi multiplexer with a full bidirectional SeaTalk1 input/output port.
criptus

NMEA3WIFI ext netw and internet access

Post by criptus » Sun Jun 18, 2023 9:47 pm

Hello. I have NMEA3WIFI MPX and it works great 8-)

Now I have a question. I connected MPX to external network that has access to the internet. I was expecting that in this case the devices on the internal network would also have access to the internet however they do not.

What settings did I miss?

Luis Sa
Site Admin

Re: NMEA3WIFI ext netw and internet access

Post by Luis Sa » Sun Jun 18, 2023 10:20 pm

Hello,

You say "the devices on the internal network". Could you please clarify?

If the multiplexer only creates its network and, for example, you connect your smartphone to the multiplexer, then the smartphone will not have internet access. If, on the other hand, the multiplexer connects to an existing network with internet access, then your smartphone (connected to the existing network) will have internet access and may communicate with the multiplexer using http://nmea3wifi or using the IP that the multiplexer received from the existing network.

Regards, Luis

criptus

Post by criptus » Mon Jun 19, 2023 7:02 am

For example, you access MPX over browzer from a tablet ('local' connected device) to maintain MPX control panel. MPX is at the same time connected to external network (wifi hot spot that has access to the internet).

This means MPX should have access to the internet and I'd expect that tablet would have too. However tablet do not have access to the internet. Is that possible to configure?

criptus

Post by criptus » Fri Jun 23, 2023 6:16 pm

Below screenshot from the tablet. It is on Nmea3wifi network plus on external internet wifi hotspot.

Tablet should access both the MPX and the internet however only MPX works (as seen on the acreenshot) and internet does not.

What am I doing wrong?

criptus

Post by criptus » Sun Jun 25, 2023 8:54 pm

Let me answer to myself.

Accessing both, MPX and internet networks is possible from the same device, however not from MPX network, but wifi access point (external) network.

It is a bit unusual but it works. Also a bit anoying as you need to connect first to MPX network to see what external IP MPX acquired from access point. Then you reconnect to external network and call this IP from the browser, to access MPX interface.

dagnall

Post by dagnall » Fri Jul 14, 2023 9:05 am

criptus wrote:
Sun Jun 25, 2023 8:54 pm
Also a bit anoying as you need to connect first to MPX network to see what external IP MPX acquired from access point. Then you reconnect to external network and call this IP from the browser, to access MPX interface.
Let me add to this thread..
Connecting to the Multiplexer ("again") just to find the IP address on the 'EXT" network is certainly a bit cumbersome.
I would suggest that if you are connecting regularly to an "EXT" network, you should set a fixed IP address in the EXT IP ADDRESS box on the multiplexer. This will force the network to select that IP for the multiplexer next time it connects to the EXT network.
If you are connecting to a Phone Hotspot and do not have a spare phone (!).. you will need to use an App like 'NetAnalzser' to scan the phone hotspot network to find what addresses the phone uses. The Multiplexer will appear as a device "Expressif Inc." and the app will the IP that the Phone has assigned.
Again, to avoid doing this many times, it is a good idea to then fix the IP by setting it in the multiplexer.
Image of NetAnalyzer finding Multiplexer.jpg
NetAnalyzer image of Hotspot scan

criptus

Post by criptus » Wed Nov 01, 2023 6:57 pm

It would be nice if MPX (local) network was routed to external (internet). Same way as at typical routers. Then all the issues discussed here would be resolved.

Perhaps a 'small' request to the software developer :)