RO6800AIS -> NMEA4WIFI -> AIS WIFI

Discussion and support for the Nmea4Wifi multiplexer - a 4-input Nmea 0183 wifi multiplexer.
Zyth45

RO6800AIS -> NMEA4WIFI -> AIS WIFI

Post by Zyth45 » Mon Apr 10, 2023 10:10 am

Hello sailors!

I acquired this week a NMEA4WIFI and I am seeing for the configuration in my sailboat.
My final goal is to retrieve the AIS signal from my VHF on my tablet using the Boating application

My AIS VHF is a RO6800AIS (FURUNO)
https://www.furuno.fr/lang--fr--art--RO ... 00AIS.html
In the manual we see 0183_OUT+ / 0183_OUT-

But outside of the RO6800AIS I’v just get this 2 ports :
One looking like a NMEA 2K and one looking like a PS/2 port

I have buy a “PS/2” cable for get access to pin’s on the PS/2 looking port but after many try I’d don’t manage to see nmea informations on the debug function.

Any one get the same AIS of me and find a solution for connecting this to the multiplexer ?

Thank you 😊 have a good day !
Pascal from France.

Luis Sa
Site Admin

Re: RO6800AIS -> NMEA4WIFI -> AIS WIFI

Post by Luis Sa » Tue Apr 11, 2023 1:29 am

Hello Pascal,

I follow your link and then went to the manual of your VHF/AIS. It is a very poor manual in my modest opinion. As far as I could understand there is a "cable" with 2 ends. One end connects (or is it fixed to the back of the radio?) to a socket on the back of the radio. The other end has multiple plugs. One plug (number 6) has 2 pins (nmea0183 out) that you need to take to P1 or P2 of the multiplexer. The 2 pins you need are the black and the red. But are supposed to destroy (cut) the cable to identify tha function of the pins by looking to the color of the wires? Certainly not!!!

I may be lacking information. But if I could get a cable with a female (or male?) to connect to the plug number 6 and just wires on the other end I could try the 6x5 = 30 combinations to discover the black/red pair that I need. You can do that without any problem of destroying the multiplexer as the 2 terminals of P1 (or P2) are opto isolated.

I could not understand how you set nmea0183 output. You can have this output active simultaneously with the nmea2000 output. But to know that I would need to follow the menus on the radio as no information exists in the manual.

Sorry for not being able to help you.

Luis