Connection with an LCJ Capteurs wind sensor NMEA 0183

Discussion and support for the Nmea4Wifi multiplexer - a 4-input Nmea 0183 wifi multiplexer.
Gunther

Connection with an LCJ Capteurs wind sensor NMEA 0183

Post by Gunther » Thu May 05, 2022 1:15 pm

Hello all,

I have this wind sensor:
https://lcjcapteurs.com/en/girouette-an ... nd-sensor/

The available connections are (see photo)
12 V
GND
NMEA+
NMEA-

I have connected NMEA+ to NMEA4WIFI A1 and NMEA- to B1. Then tried all three other inputs. Baud rate is set to 4800, which should be correct.

With a NMEA to USB converter the wind transducer also works fine.

However, the debug mode of the NMEA4WIFI does not show any data.

(Power supply correctly from a car battery, in the meantime also via Micro-USB).

What else could I try?

Many thanks in advance for any tips and best regards, Gunther
Attachments
IMG_20220505_150921.jpg

Luis Sa
Site Admin

Re: Connection with an LCJ Capteurs wind sensor NMEA 0183

Post by Luis Sa » Thu May 05, 2022 5:23 pm

Hello,

The sensor that you send a link to is a wireless sensor. I assume you have one sensor with the wires you refer to.

You are using input port P1. You need to set either P1>P3 or P1>UDP or P1>TCP. If none are set the multiplexer will ignore P1 input data.

If that is OK then you should check if there is an hardware problem. There are videos in this forum that show how to test the hardware of the multiplexer.

I am going to the airport right now in my way to Greece. I hope you will be able to solve your problem.

Regards, Luis

Gunther

Post by Gunther » Sat May 07, 2022 2:23 pm

Hi Luis,

I have now carried out this hardware test. Flashing 5 times. Everything is fine. All the ports.

When I change again and connect (this time to A1 NMEA + and B1 NMEA -), no green LED lights up and the debug mode in the multiplexer also throws up nothing.

(The green LED behind the port should probably light up when data is input).

If I connect the wind sensor with the two connections to an NMEA to USB immediately afterwards, I have the data on the serial port.

Now I am completely at a loss.

Thank you very much for (any) idea. Kind regards Gunther

Luis Sa
Site Admin

Post by Luis Sa » Sat May 07, 2022 5:50 pm

Hello,

Could you take a screenshot of the settings web page and post it here?

Which firmware version?

Which Nmea to USB are you referring to? And also which is the model of the wind sensor? If a link to its manual exists, please send it to me.

Regards, Luis

Gunther

Post by Gunther » Sun May 08, 2022 5:04 pm

Hello Luis,

this is the sensor: https://lcjcapteurs.com/en/girouette-an ... nd-sensor/

It is wireless and has a small box with the connectors for reception (you can see the photo of it in the first post).

I am also attaching a screenshot of the current settings. But I have tested almost everything (other ports etc.). The firmware is currently 4.8

Lastly, I had now relied on the LED and the debug mode. As I said, nothing is reported.

The USB cable with which the wind sensor or its receiver works is this: https://www.svb.de/de/digital-yacht-ser ... -nmea.html

Thanks for any advice and best regards, Gunther

Luis Sa
Site Admin

Post by Luis Sa » Mon May 09, 2022 4:38 am

Hello,

I am in Greece and my boat is going to the water this Wednesday. I have limited time but now understand what you have. I just need a screenshot of the multiplexer settings. I need to confirm if you are routing the input port (that you for the wind sensor) to UDP TCP or P5. If an important port is not routed, all data arriving at it will not be read and the green led will not blink.

Since now I know your settings and the manuals, I need to check the colors of the cables you are using shown in the first post.

Regards, Luis

Luis Sa
Site Admin

Post by Luis Sa » Mon May 09, 2022 5:05 am

Hi again,

You are connecting yellow to A1 and black to B1. And connecting 12V to the box that receives RF from the sensor. I assume that black is also used as the negative terminal for the current return of the 12v that you supply to the box. If you only connect these 3 wires the box will not receive power. I don't know what is the function of the 4th screw connector on the box labelled at 0V.

However if the box works when you connect the USB cable to a computer I would either connect GND from the box (B1) to GND on the multiplexer. But please study this carefullly. The multiplexer will not suffer but I am not sure about the box. I am not sure how the box is actually powered up. The 1st thing I would do would be to remove the yellow wire on the first post from A1 and check if data is coming. You can do that with an oscilloscope or with a simple multilateral.

In conclusion - a USB data cable has 2 functions. One is to supply power to a device from the host or computer. The second function is of course to guarantee data transmission. Port P1 of the multiplexer does not supply power. It only receives data.

Regards, Luis (now is time to apply antifouling to the hull of my boat)

Gunther

Post by Gunther » Mon May 09, 2022 10:12 am

Hi again,

right. Yellow to A1 and Black to B1. (BTW, I tested also all the other input ports). 12V I connect to Battery + and 0V to Battery -. For the Multiplexer I tried USB for Power and 12V and GND also.

The only option that I've not tried: the NMEA + (yellow cable) to A1 and NMEA - not to B1 but to GND.

What GND from the Multiplexer I could choose: next to 12V or next to P5?

Cheers an thanks, Gunther (and good success with antifouling)

Gunther

Post by Gunther » Sat May 28, 2022 2:47 pm

Hello Luis,

I have now checked my wind sensor with a Garmin GMI20. It works as it should. If I switch to the multiplexer and correctly connect NMEA + to A1 and NMEA - to B1: no input. Nothing in Wifi, nothing on P5 (in demo mode P5 output runs great on the GMI20).

Now I am at a loss. The inputs simply don't seem to work.

Best regards, Gunther