NMEA4Wifi V4.1 OTA upload issue

Discussion and support for the Nmea4Wifi multiplexer - a 4-input Nmea 0183 wifi multiplexer.
dagnall

NMEA4Wifi V4.1 OTA upload issue

Post by dagnall » Wed Apr 07, 2021 5:35 pm

Luis,
I had some problems when trying to check OTA with my NMEA4WIFI V4.1 code.
I was having problems with OTA Upload, and the progress was getting "stuck" at about 12%- 40%.

To help others - I found that the "fix" for me was to disconnect the SeaTalk (A4/B4) inputs -

With SeaTalk wires both disconnected, I was then able to OTA Update and the progress bar showed progress to 100% - after which the NMEA4WIFI restarted with the new code. (I will reconnect the SeaTalk wires later!. )

I am not sure if this affects other s/w versions, and I hope its rare, but I am adding this post so that others can try it if they have the same problem in future.

Dagnall

dagnall

Re: NMEA4Wifi V4.1 OTA upload issue

Post by dagnall » Wed Jan 26, 2022 12:26 pm

Just a quick update..
I have just helped another user with very similar problems trying to update version 4.1.

(I would recommend trying everything else that you can before using the Flash tool, as it can "brick" the ESP32.
The issues are that the ESP can disconnect from providing a wifi AP whilst it is trying to do the download.
This does not cause big problems, as the old V41 code is still there. But it is frustrating. )

There can be many reasons for the AP disconnecting, and the multiplexer getting "distracted" by NMEA and especially Seatalk inputs seem very common. This is why disconnecting the inputs is the first thing to try.

Removing the actual ESP module from the multiplexer is a simple way to ensure that all inputs are disconnected, BUT the USB connector on early units were very easy to damage, so it is essential to be very careful when connecting a usb cable to them to power them up.

Once the unit is unplugged and powered up, you should be able to connect to the NMEA4WIFI Access point as usual. This is usually sufficient to enable Update. But a better approach (best done at home!) is to connect to "External Network". This makes a more reliable link to the module and so upload of the OTA tends to be more reliable:

The process is simple, but lengthy
  • First (at home) connect the NMEA4 module to USB to give it power.
  • Then connect to the NMEA4 WiFI AP and open the webpage (192.168.4.1)
  • It might be useful at this stage to record your NMEA4 routing and filter settings etc, as they will get lost later in this sequence
  • Set your home network SSID and Password in EXTERNAL NETWORK SSID and Password boxes, select "ALSO CONNECT TO EXTERNAL" and click on "SET"
  • Wait at least 5 seconds. and reconnect to the NMEA4 AP wifi. Then, in the web browser go again to 192.168.4.1: You may want to REFRESH the web browser to make sure it is not displaying a cached image!
  • The web browser should now display two IP addresses under the Firmware version. One will be 192.186.4.1 and the other will be the New address for the NMEA4 on your home network: (something like 192.168.0.16)
  • NOW: on your computer, disconnect from the NMEA4 wifi AP, and connect to your home network.
  • Once connected to your home network, in the web browser go to 192.168.0.16 (or whatever you saw on the webpage).. and the NMEA4 webpage should again appear.
  • Click on "Update", and select the updated binary you wish to use, and then click Upload. The progress bar should go all the way across and get to 100%.. NOTE.. you will NOT get the "SUCCESS" message!
  • Please wait at least 30 seconds for the module to restart.
  • At this point the module will be in a factory default state, so it will not be connected to your home network (which is why you will not get the "Success" message). So connect to the NMEA4 AP wifi again, and using the web browser go to 192.168.4.1 again
  • you should now see the new updated firmware version.
  • NOTE that the NMEA4 will have reverted to the "Default" settings, so you will need to re-enter SSID and password etc. You will also need to reset the routings and filters to the setup you use (and that you recorded right at the beginning of this process..)

Luis Sa
Site Admin

Re: NMEA4Wifi V4.1 OTA upload issue

Post by Luis Sa » Thu Jan 27, 2022 3:19 am

Hello,

Let me to add a small note to this complete and detailed explanation that Dagnall just described. The OTA upload in version 41 uses a JavaScript file called jquery.min.js that needs to be downloaded from

https://ajax.googleapis.com/ajax/libs/j ... ery.min.js

In Windows 10 this file is normally stored in the cache memory of the local computer and no internet connection to get it from http://ajax.googleapis.com is needed. In my own computer that file existed and I wrongly assumed that this was the general case. I wrote in this forum a small note referring to this problem:

https://www.vela-navega.com/forum/viewt ... f=13&t=242

So, if you are one of the few users that received the multiplexer with version 41 and if you use Windows 10 give a try to upload. If that fails, then follow the process described by Dagnall above. Also note that in version 42 and subset versions the content of that file was included in the firmware and no internet connection is necessary to fetch the JavaScript file.

My thanks to Dagnall for this useful post.

Regards, Luis