My preferred sequence is:
- With the Phone connected to the internet, Use Safari and go to The BinaryUpdates post and download the latest binary.
Safari does not show you where it has downloaded the file, nor give any indication of success.
Connect the Iphone to the NMEA4 AP and in safari go to 192.168.4.1. The Standard NMEA 4 setup page should appear.
(you may wish to press simulate at this point to confirm the connection by observing the flashing light son the NMAE4.)
Navigate Safari to 192.168.4.1:82 if using older software, or press the Web “update” button if using more recent software.
Press “Choose File”
- The Phone will now show a table of options: Select “Browse”
- Make sure you are at the top level of “Browse”, and select “Downloads” – NOT “On My Iphone”
- In “downloads you should find the downloaded file (In the photo I had V38 and V41 as well as another file.)
- Select the file you wish to upload and it will appear in the NMEA4 Safari web page.
- Press “Upload” – AND- (This is vital!) watch the LED lights on the NMEA4.
- The Webpage will IMMEDIATELY go to 100% progress- but This is an IOS fault..
- Watch the lights on the NMEA4 – after about 30 seconds (which will seem like a long time!) they will do the “boot flash” sequence and the green LEDS will scroll to indicate that upload finished and the NMEA4 has rebooted.
- (optional, but gives confidence all has worked!) You can now point the Safari Web browser to 192.168.4.1 again and check the version number and that simulate works.
- I have shown the NEW update screen on 7 and 8, but for V 38 the display is simpler but has the same data.
- At step 5, you may be tempted to check your ICloud.. but remember that you may not be connected to the internet, and ICloud may not have copied all files locally.
With an old Ipad (IOS 9.3.6 ) There are some additional complications..
- in step 1, IOS asked where to save the file.
- At step 3 and using the new V41 update, the page upload halts when it has displayed the main text, BUT does not display the "Select Files" or "Update" buttons.
- THERE is A work around.. At this point (if the web page upload is stalled and does not show the Select files button) ) Switch the WiFI to your normal network, to give you network access. Go back to Safari, and you should now see the Select files and upload buttons- DO NOT PRESS anything yet!
- Go back to WIFI and select NMEA4WIFI Again.
- Go to Safari
- You should now be able to select the file to upload -- In the old IOS steps 4 5 and 6 finding the file again to upload was even harder, but I did (eventually) find the files in ICloud after I had made sure they were saved locally.